Dementia: Understanding the Journey
Time & Location
About The Event
Education and early interventions are key to easing the progress of the disease, and Person Centred Universe is now offering Dementia: Understanding the Journey, a multi-week course for anyone who is caring for someone with dementia, whether you’re a formal or informal caregiver, regardless of previous training or background. There is no one way to best support persons living with dementia, and the disease impacts every person differently. The aim of this course is to provide you with a number of tools, resources, and interventions to better inform your approach.
Topics we cover:
- Learn more about the disease, how its progression has impacted dementia care, and how the course will be able to help you provide better care for persons with dementia.
- Learn more about your role in promoting the autonomy of persons with dementia and emphasize the importance of engagement as a means to enhance the lived experience and relationships with those for whom you care.
The Person Comes First
- Get an introduction to person-centred versus person-directed approaches to care. We’ll delve a bit deeper into the complexities of the disease and explore the impact of relationships in the progression of the disease.
All Behaviour Has Meaning
- Explore the meanings behind recurring behaviours, which may indicate underlying needs or impairments. By understanding and recognizing, care providers can respond appropriately and effectively to the needs of the person with dementia.
Me, Myself, and the Team
- We will focus on you and explore your role within a care team. We’ll discuss barriers and overcoming challenges you may face in implementing what you’ve learned and fostering cultures that support person-centred care.
Planning for Care
- We’ll focus on effective care planning, and give you an opportunity to apply what you’ve learned so far. This will give you a deeper understanding on the role of care planning in providing more meaningful approaches and care for persons with dementia.
Supporting Other Partners in Care
- Explore the role of family, friends, and others, in the larger context of care. All those who share a meaningful relationship with the person living with dementia are key and equal players in the delivery of care and easing the journey with the disease.
- PCC Course$685$6850$0